White House staffers and guests will no longer be able to use their personal cell phones in the West Wing, the Trump administration said Thursday.
The announcement came just a day after details from a forthcoming book about the inner-workings of the Trump administration emerged — a development that has enraged President Donald Trump and prompted him to threaten legal action against Steve Bannon, the former strategist who is quoted widely in the book.
In a statement Thursday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, « The security and integrity of the technology systems at the White House is a top priority for the Trump administration. »
« Therefore, starting next week the use of all personal devices for both guests and staff will no longer be allowed in the West Wing, » she said. « Staff will be able to conduct business on their government-issued devices and continue working hard on behalf of the American people. »
The White House had been weighing the move as early as November, Bloomberg News reported, amid anger from Trump about leaks to the media within his administration. Officials told Bloomberg in November that the ban was being considered due to cybersecurity concerns.